Walk/Bike to Work
Map of County Parks and Walkways
Bicycling appeals mostly to those who commute five miles or less. Walking attracts those who live less than two miles from work. These commute choices tend to attract fitness-oriented and environmentally-conscious people and are most successful in areas with a flat terrain, sidewalks, little traffic and bicycle-compatible roads.
Employers can promote biking or walking to work by providing:
- Shower and locker facilities on-site or at a nearby health club
- Secure bicycle storage, such as racks or lockers
- Subsidies or discounts on bicycling equipment and services
Bicycling and walking to work can provide employees with:
- Flexible travel time
- Health advantages from regular exercise
- Reduced commuting costs
- Personal satisfaction from supporting an environment-friendly program
- A quicker commute
The TMA can:
- Research safe routes and provide personalized route maps
- Find where to buy and maintain equipment
- Provide tips and general information for use of parks and paths
- Support your program with Emergency Ride Home programs, bike/walk subsidies, occasional parking, etc.
- Sponsor safe bicycling workshops and information sessions.
- Workshops on bicycle safety and maintenance